Tuesday, June 5, 2012

TWD: Oasis Naan


This week's Tuesdays with Dorie featured Oasis Naan, a version of the familiar flat-bread that is topped with chopped green onions, salt, and cumin seed.

The instructions for this recipe indicate to make the dough by hand, but I was feeling lazy and just threw it together in my stand mixer.  It was such a breeze to mix up and then place in a bowl for a two hour rise period during which time I was able to get some much-needed yard work done.  I got a little lazy when it came to rolling these out, choosing to hand stretch them instead.  I sprinkled some extra cumin seeds on top and even topped half the batch with some shredded Monterey Jack cheese.


My little son saw me put the first batch in the oven and instantly waddled over begging for a piece.  He is a carb-lover, like his mother.

My husband and I have been on quite the curry kick lately.  In the past few days we have eaten nothing but homemade Indian and Thai-style curries and soups.  This bread made a perfect accompaniement to each of those meals.  Soft, salty, and slightly chewy, this was a great version of naan.  Paul especially enjoyed the cheese-topped version.  But then again, he would eat a shoe if it was smothered in cheese.

Since this was such a sturdy dough, I might make it again to use as a base for grilled pizza!


If you would like the recipe for the Oasis Naan, Maggie and Phyl have posted it on their blogs.

7 comments:

  1. I thought it tasted more like a pizza dough than like naan as I know it, so I think your instinct to turn it into pizza is right-on. Love the idea of putting cheese on it. Everything's better with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! Nice photos. We really enjoyed this one, too. Might have to try it with a curry next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had naans before, so I did not know what to expect.Yours looks delicious.
    I've added some veg and they were just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! We enjoyed the leftover Naan with extra cheese and some black beans and rice. Delicious! We're having some company over next week and are going to try to make individual pizzas on the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your presentation is quite a kick and I bet this is going to pair real well with your curry "kick"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen cheese naan on the menu in our Indian restaurant. I might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice photos :-)
    My eldest loves her bread as well. Although she's 18 now, so when she pinches something off my plate it's not quite as cute as it used to be...

    ReplyDelete