Wednesday, July 29, 2015

What's in Emma's Purse?


My little Emma is a girly girl. She did not get this trait from me - I was so very the opposite when I was younger. Instead of dress-up and princesses, I preferred pretending I was Joe Hardy solving mysteries with my brother Frank (played by Michael and Raymond at different times). In fact, I remember getting really angry at my sister Catherine for obsessing over jewelry and make-up at a very young age because I had such an aversion to such things (ironically, Catherine now works for Chanel). I never even wanted to get my ears pierced until I was randomly talked into it during my sophomore year of high school.

But Emma! My goodness, if she goes a day without wearing a necklace, she cries herself to sleep. She spends a good 10 minutes selecting an outfit in the morning and another hour after that obsessing over what shoes to wear. She loves to wear bows in her hair even though she plays so rough and tumble that they barely stay attached to her hair. She raids my makeup bag on a regular basis and insists on wearing the reddest color of lipstick she can find. And now, she has started carrying her own purse (she has two that were gifted to her) and is thrilled that she can carrying her most prized possessions of the moment along with her as we go about our day.

When she came downstairs all dolled up for the day, I thought it would be fun for Emma to show us what she is carrying with her today.

Here is Emma with her purse and selected outfit for today. Note the Minnie Mouse slippers that she deemed worthy to wear with her sundress. Her reasoning? They are both pink. I am going to be in trouble later when I inform her that she cannot wear her slippers outside. But for now, we'll go with it. Notice also the yellow bow she stole from her sister Lucy ("Baby Woosie is sharing with me!" she declares).



She is also sporting her favorite necklace. Seven years ago, I wore that necklace when I was the Maid of Honor in my best friend's wedding. Now, Emma has officially claimed it as her own.

So, Emma. What's in your purse?




"Wook at my sunglasses. They're for my eyes. I put them on!"


Oh so lovely. What else is in your purse?




"My binky! It goes in my mouth! There's water in there. I wear it like this!"



I hate to inform her that it is not a binky but rather a broken teething toy. And she has never ever used a binky but for some reason really likes the idea of one now that Lucy is around (even though Lucy does not use a binky either although I sometimes wish she would!).

Alright Emma...what's the last thing you have there in your purse?




"My toys! I need toys when I go in the car! Wook at my big ring! For my finger!"

And of course she pulls out Lucy's rattle. Which is a pretty bling baby rattle. That certainly explains why Emma likes it so much.



So there you have it! Today's accessories of my two-year-old. And where was she going so dressed up and fancy? To bed for her afternoon nap! No, really. She has been wearing her purse to bed, tucked tightly under her arm. Sometimes she sleeps with her sunglasses on. That girl is ready for anything.

Never a dull moment with these beautiful kids!

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha. I LOVE how two year-olds think (most of the time). Luke is very attached to his sunglasses although so far he hasn't considering wearing them to bed at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahhahaha.... I love this post! I love Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was searching for my GF's blog and came across your interesting one. Started reading about your two year girlie-girl similar to our dd. I had to laugh when you said, "...my goodness, if she goes a day without wearing a necklace, she cries herself to sleep. She spends a good 10 minutes selecting an outfit in the morning and another hour after that obsessing over what shoes to wear." Promise the next thing will be a raid on your jewelry box to find your earrings!

    Welcome to the world where little girls want to be like mommy. Promise when she sees your pretty earrings, she'll want to feel pretty too. Mommie, it may be time to accept the fact and go ahead and take her to have them pierced when you can care for them properly. We had to get her ears pierced at ~ 2 years.

    Our dd went through clip ons, stickers and magnetic earrings, but with no satisfaction. When I told her to ask daddy about get earrings like mommy, he casually said yes, but she didn't quite understand she was asking for having her ears pierced now. I had to tell her she wasn't old enough too. That lasted about a month until her baby girl cousin, aged 6 mos showed up for a visit with cute little gold balls in each ear! Again, she wanted to know why her baby cousin had earrings and she didn't? Dh chimed in and wanted to know too ): He kept telling his sister how cute her dd, Amelia, looked with earrings. In fact he strongly hinted he wanted our dd's ears pierced soon as well. The pressure was on now and the cards stacked against me. As an out, I told dh that I would ask our ped. Well, I didn't expect what happened next.

    Our ped actually encouraged me to go ahead saying it was best when mommy could care for them. She said it have become more popular to pierce little girls ears because is safer with the newer ear piercing instruments. She gave me some tips which included some OTC meds to minimize any discomfort and said when THEY want it done seeing other little girls with cute earrings, they ofter play with them and fail to care for properly causing infection. Best to do it now when you have control and she won't remember.

    One day, dh calls out to me from the family room asking me to come in there. Our dd had gotten a pair of my earrings and was asking dh how to put them in her ears! She almost put one in her ear canal!" Dh laughed and told me to take her to have them pierced before we had to take her to the ER to remove an earring! At this point, I was ready and told dh I started seeing other little babies including two in church nursery and another little girl in our playgroup. I finally realized how cute our little girl would look with cute earrings and yielded to pressure.

    I'd say if your dd is girlie girl and you've remotely thought about it, then it may be a good time to go ahead having her ears pierced BEFORE she does what Sandi did with my earrings. She has gotten the gene from your sister, so there is no reason to fight it. If you've thought about it, then your mommy intuition maybe telling you now is better too.

    Promise if your daughter is as girlie girlie as Sandi, earrings are the next step beyond purses an shoes as the preferred accessory for little girls as it is with us moms.

    Write me an e-mail for our ped's tips if you'd like them.

    Amy
    amyswor1765@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. See Emma is going to be just like her aunts Catherine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See Emma is going to be just like her aunts Catherine!

    ReplyDelete